Magical book

Magical book

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

What's in a nickname?



When I was a kid, nobody called me Sandy. I was Sandra, the shy girl in glasses, to everybody.

Now my husband, best friends, and a lot of other mystery writers call me Sandy. Whether you address me as Sandra or Sandy is an indicator of something, but I’m not sure what. I do know that I feel friendlier to people who call me by the nickname. If you don’t know me well, don’t like me, or simply want to keep some distance between us, call me Sandra.  

I feel lucky that I’ve never been burdened with a silly or embarrassing nickname, but at the same time I think the lack of one says something unflattering about me. People who collect a bunch of cute and funny nicknames throughout their lives tend to be the popular, gregarious sort, the type everybody wants to befriend. So while I might roll my eyes at hearing grownups addressed as Bunny or whatever, I feel a tinge of envy too.

I think about nicknames a lot because, as a writer, I regularly have the power to name a whole gaggle of people for a new book. The majority of real people seem to have nicknames—or diminutives of their given names—but giving a character more than one label is verboten, because readers become confused if a guy is John on one page and Bubba on another and Jack on yet another. If I’m going to use a diminutive or nickname, that’s it. I may mention the character’s “real” name in passing, but I have to stick with the chosen moniker for the sake of readers.

Nicknames can tell us more about a person, or a character, than what’s on a birth certificate, so I’m drawn to them and would love to use more. Humans all over the planet have a penchant for nicknames, whether they’re given in affection, for convenience, or to show contempt and produce embarrassment. We start as kids on the playground, hurling insulting nicknames at each other or whispering them behind our poor victims’ backs, always believing we’re being terribly original and cutting. Bullies perfect the art of dreaming up humiliating nicknames to make life miserable for kids who are the slightest bit different from the local ideal. Teachers, whether they’re sexy young women or sour old men, are not exempt, although they will seldom be addressed face to face with the sobriquets their students have bestowed on them.

Just as we can’t resist giving nasty nicknames to people we detest or fear, we shower sweet names on our loved ones. Babies are addressed as Precious and Sweetums and Cupcake and Cutie Pie and Little Man and Princess, ad nauseum. Although we might give our pets nicknames in lieu of formal names to begin with, we always pile on more, and the things owners call their beloved cats and dogs in private probably shouldn’t be repeated out of respect for the animals’ dignity. (Our cats Emma and Gabriel have perfectly nice names, but I usually call them Sweetie or Sugar.)

Do you have a nickname? Do different people have different nicknames for you? What do their choices say about your relationships with them?

What do you call your pets when no one is around to hear?

4 comments:

  1. My spouse and I found we stopped using nicknames for each other, or so many, when we got dogs, and their nicknames proliferated....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never shied from using my pets' nicknames around other people. Scout was Scoutie, Scoutie Wouitie, Honey, Honey Bunny, Hunster Buster, Young Man, and more. Jingle is Jingle Jangle, Jingle Bell, Baby, Honey Bunny, and others. I don't know if you'd consider Barb a nickname since it's merely my given name shortened. But I was Barbara until my first semester of college when a friend introduced me as Barb, and I thought it was so snappy, I immediately began using it exclusively.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has always surprised me when I use a nickname. Many friends have nicknames that I never use. OTOH, nicknames that end in Y always make me think of a book written back in the late 50s or early 60s (can't remember anything else about the book) that was about a man that had a Y ending nickname way beyond his college years and this reflected on his maturity. I only remember that I didn't like this, it was the 60s and I demanded Pat from people and corrected them if I got Patty, Patti or Patsy. It is only recently that I get a lot of Patricias. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jimmy Stewart was always Jimmy Stewart, into old age. I think it suited him. I never called him James Stewart and rarely heard anyone else use his formal first name.

    ReplyDelete